Monday, September 30, 2013

Tub Tim Krob (Red Rubies)

This dessert is readily available in any Thai restaurants and it's a most order dessert for me!!! I just love the crunchiness and chewiness of the water chestnut and the milky flavour of the chilled coconut milk... Perfect for a super hot day...

I made it right after I reached home and it only took me 30 minutes to prepare!! I was delaying this for so long due to lack of fresh water chestnut... I travelled to Pudu Market just to get my hands on it... My mum can get this easily in Penang but here in KL... It's like finding a pin in the ocean (yeah, I'm exaggerating, but it's true)

So here's how I do it

Cubed the water chestnut

Add red food colouring

Coat them in tapioca starch

Bring a pot of water to boil

Throw all the coated water chestnut in and stir them to prevent sticking... Once they float, sieve them up and chilled them in cold water... I couldn't manage to snap a picture of this process due to time constraint... The rubies started to float in less than 5 minutes... Gotta scoop them up fast as I don't want the surface to be too starchy...

Tada!! Red rubies!

Now, prepare the coconut milk... Just heat them up in slow fire for 5 minutes and leave it to cool...

Add pandan leaves, a pinch of salt and sugar to taste

Add sliced mangoes/jackfruits and ice

Once everything is in place, add the prepared coconut milk and TADA!!! 
The perfect dessert for a super hot weekday!!!
Super duper easy to make!!

Easy & Simple
I'm feeling much cooler now after having this... Enjoy!!

Recipe for Tub Tim Krob (2 servings):

Ingredients:
- 4 fresh water chestnuts
- 100g of sliced ripe mango/sliced jackfruit
- 100g of tapioca starch
- 4-6 drops of red fruit colouring
- ice cubes/shaved ice
- 100ml of coconut milk
- Pandan leaves

Steps:
- Clean and cube water chestnuts and soak them in 100ml of water
- Add red food colouring and leave it to soak for 2 minutes
- Prepare a bowl of tapioca starch in a bowl. Add the coloured water chestnut in and coat them evenly.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in the coated water chestnut and wait for them to float and the surface of the water chestnut should turned translucent.
- Sieve floated water chestnut and cool them in a bowl of cold water. Set it aside.
- Heat 100ml of coconut milk in a pan with pandan leaves and add salt and sugar to taste. Heat it for 5 minutes.
- Once everything is done, scoop the beautiful red rubies, sliced jackfruit or sliced mangos into a bowl. Add in ice cubes/shaved ice. 
- Finally pour coconut milk on top of everthing and it's ready to serve

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Search This Blog